When you were a little kid, were you the one on top of the monkey bars, swinging underneath, or sitting in the gravel playing below? Each of us has a unique set of gifts- a disposition if you will. Fast forward some years, and that “disposition” has made itself manifest in your adult life. Where are you now? On top, in the middle, or at the bottom of what you’d like your life to be?
Do you have Chutzpah?
Chutzpah is a Hebrew word meaning guts, boxy, supreme self-confidence to the point of being cheeky and audacious. Chutzpah is for people who really know who they are and why they are here.
Knowing who you are and your purpose or life calling makes all the difference.
The question is, if you don’t know what that is, how of you get that self-confidence and increase it to the point of unabashed audacity?
Here are a few ideas to help you create Chutzpah in your life. Even if you don’t make it to unabashed audacity, I’m pretty sure they will at least help you feel more self-confident and secure.
- Be nice to yourself. When your inner critic, well-intentioned as she is, starts pointing out your flaws, consider saying this to her, “I see that you are here, but I do not have to listen to you.” Give yourself a little reassurance and move on with what you are doing.
- Fearlessly be yourself. Who you are is good enough- for real. There is only one you in this world for all time. That’s pretty special.
- Get out and get moving. Being out in the fresh air, whether it is snowing, raining or sunny is invigorating and builds good feelings. Just go for a walk, visit a neighbor, or watch the birds- Play! Double points if you make someone else smile.
- Give yourself permission to be human. No one is perfect, and you don’t have to be either. Laugh when you make a mistake and take permission to be human from those around you. The relief in the room will be palpable.
- Focus on what you can change. Baby steps Bob. Do one small thing that will take you one tiny step towards your goal. Movement is empowering.
- Choose to do something that makes you happy. What makes your heart sing? What was it, that made you want to jump out of bed in the morning and get going just because you were excited for the day? Do a little of that. If you can’t do it today, it’s okay. Plan it- studies have shown that anticipating a vacation gives us more pleasure than actually being on a vacation. Crazy, but true. There is so much to enjoy in the world, even if it is the intense flavor of a stick of gum.
All of these things get your life energy moving and flowing in the right direction, and that, my friend will help you create Chutzpah!
Choose one this week and do it. You’ll be glad you did. Here’s to creating Chutzpah in our lives. It will make the world a better place!
All my love,
CMH Coaching for Life